Episode 19: 'Round the Horn and 40k Guest Spot
Hosts: Duck Sauce, Gyro, Biscuit, Wonton, Americano, and T-Bone
- Guest spot: Wonton!
- The 25mm Warrior Blog
- "Laughing Through the Pain"
- Critical Miss Radio, Wonton's upcoming podcast
- 40k Spearhead
- Battle Chonicler
- Planetary Empires
- Storm Wardens Project
- For the Win, a novel
- Modnation Monster Master Avatar
- ManCabin Ustream
As a bonus, in case you've ever wondered just how we come up with all the food names for the hosts and guests, we'll give you a behind the scenes look. No, it's not just whatever we ate last. If it were, half the people on the show would be named "Peanut Butter Crunch"! No, it's a bit more involved than that. Here's a look at the thought train behind "Wonton"!
- J. Ford: Hmm, he's in California so I'm thinking avocados. I liked Duck Sauce's "sea rat" (c-ration), but sea rat's not a food. Looking around though, rat cuisine is on the rise in Asia, especially with the prevalence of bird flu.
- Hmm, I'm seeing 'Asian' and 'Ford', and what better combination of the two than Ridley Scott's excellent film Blade Runner featuring a crumbling dystopian future on the decline rife with Asian cultural influences, starring Harrison FORD.
- To quote an article detailing the film, "reflecting perhaps the director's vision of the future as a western world over-run by advancing oriental commerce. On the advertising wall the Coke adverts are followed by geisha girls and Japanese hi-fi companies. There is no fresh food, only noodles and other oriental fast food."
- So now I'm thinking we need to find noodle-affiliated dishes, and Asian fast food at that. Of course getting some rat in there is pretty important.
- I found this picture, and the site it's from has the word tentacle in the URL, so we're getting warmer. I found a bunch of Thai dishes, but they all had Thai names, "Phat Tap" was cool, but we already have a "Pad Prik". Wait a sec...Wonton!